Submitted by Johan van der Nest
Slave Lake Family Care Clinic
March 19, 2020
To help minimize the risk of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) infection to our residents and staff, the following changes are being implemented at the Slave Lake Family Care Clinic:
• The clinic will be changing its operational hours beginning Monday, March 23. Beginning March 23, the clinic will be open Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., until further notice.
• The clinic is requesting that social distancing in the waiting area be observed, as per signage on the seats in the waiting area.
• Prescription refills will now be completed by phone. Patients are required to contact the clinic at 780-849-4155 and make an appointment, indicating they are needing a prescription refill. Patients need to be available at their given appointment time and will be contacted by their family provider to discuss the condition and prescription required. Should the patient require laboratory work, the requisition will be available at the clinic for pickup to proceed to the lab.
• The clinic will be cancelling all non-essential procedures, such as freezing of warts and removal of lumps and bumps, at the provider’s discretion. The clinic will contact all impacted patients. Patients do not need to call the clinic or HealthLink about any pre- booked procedures. Impacted patients will be contacted by the clinic.
• If people are concerned that they may have contracted COVID-19, they are asked to visit www.ahs.ca/covid and take the online assessment tool to determine whether they need to call 811 to get tested. The online assessment tool will guide them to answer questions about their symptoms and take them through steps to help determine whether they need testing.
• Upon entrance to the Family Care Clinic, patients will be met by a Licensed Practical Nurse who will screen them for symptoms such as fever, dry cough or other influenza- like symptoms. If any of these symptoms are present, the patient will be asked to return home and self-isolate for 14 days.
• For all booked appointments, beginning Friday, March 20, patients will be asked to remain in their vehicle when arriving for their appointment. They are to contact the clinic by phone at 780-849-4155 and explain that they have arrived for their appointment. The clinic will call them back when their provider is ready to see them, and they will be asked to come in for their appointment. They will be met by their provider at the door and escorted to the clinic room, eliminating patients waiting in our reception area.
We thank you for your support and understanding during this time.