Court Report

Bleakley sentencing set for April 29

Richard Froese
For the Lakeside Leader

A man involved in a high-speed chase and an armed stand-off with police near Kinuso almost two years ago will be sentenced in two months.

Charles Edward Bleakley pleaded guilty to seven of 12 charges in Peace River on Jan. 14.

Police had originally laid 24 charges against Bleakley in the March 8, 2017 incident. It started with a stolen car in Slave Lake and led to a police chase near Kinuso. One half of the original charges were discharged by the judge before the hearing, says a report from the Alberta Justice and Solicitor General’s office.

Bleakley pleaded guilty to failing to stop for a peace officer, dangerous driving, possession of stolen property, operating a motor vehicle while disqualified, unlawful use of a firearm, possession of a weapon contrary to an order and possession of a prohibited loaded restricted firearm. He also faced charges of resisting a peace officer, uttering threats causing bodily harm, theft of a motor vehicle, unauthorized possession of a prohibited weapon and possession of a weapon contrary to order.

Police report that on that day in March of 2017, at about 11:45 a.m., Faust RCMP conducted a traffic stop near Kinuso, of a vehicle reported stolen from the Slave Lake area the previous evening.

The male occupant stopped for police, then fled into a wooded area; an officer heard what was believed to be one shot from a firearm while the male fled.

A short time later, Bleakley allegedly stole another vehicle near the area and brandished what a witness believed was a firearm.

Police located the stolen vehicle driving on Highway 33 and after a brief pursuit, the suspect lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a ditch.
Bleakley was armed and barricaded in the vehicle.

When police went to arrest him, he threatened to take his own life.

Later, around midnight, Emergency Response Team members arrested Bleakley without incident.

He suffered minor injuries and was treated and released from hospital into police custody.

Share this post

Post Comment