An intensive search of the Athabasca River last week failed to find a missing 17-year-old boy. The last update from the RCMP – two days after the young man went missing – said that the search had been suspended.
The original RCMP notification on the case said at 10:50 p.m. on Tuesday, May 1, somebody reported that the youth fell into the river off the Hwy. 2 Athabasca River bridge. A search was mounted immediately, and continued through May 2, with no results.
“Due to high and fast flowing current, cold temperatures and a large amount of debris in the water, emergency crews have now determined this to be a recovery operation,” said the May 3 follow-up release from Slave Lake RCMP.
The search consisted of people from several agencies, including RCMP, fire department and Slave Lake Search & Rescue, both on the water and along both banks. Private searches continued through the week.
“Slave Lake RCMP wish to extend their sincere condolences to the family and friends of the young man,” the RCMP release goes on to say. “RCMP Victim Services will continue to support the family through this difficult time.”