M.D. applying to province for disaster funding relief after flooding

Private applications can follow

Joe McWilliams
Lakeside Leader

The cost of last month’s flooding to the M.D. of Lesser Slave River has been tallied and it comes to just over $2 million. This is the public stuff – the cost to private property owners is a separate matter, M.D. councillors heard at their July 18 meeting.

M.D. director of finance Jason Warawa, making the report for council, said the biggest part of the $2 million was for road and bridge repairs. A smaller portion was for costs incurred during the flooding, such things as hiring excavators and staff overtime.

Warawa told council the application would be submitted right away, and it would serve to “kick-start” the process of individuals doing their own disaster relief applications. That’s how it works; first the municipality submits, then the province will entertain other claims.

Councillor Robert Esau urged that that fact should be “very well advertised.” That’s the plan, said Warawa.

Councillor Brad Pearson asked if the burnt-out sewage pumps in Widewater could be included in the M.D.’s claim. Not at this point, said Warawa.

“Anything private will have to go through individual applications,” he said.

Pearson wasn’t satisfied:
“Homeowners were given electrical connections that were destined to fail,” he said. “I don’t think it should be borne fully by the property owners.”

Councillor Sandra Melzer asked if it was the case that the province won’t cover insurable items. Correct, said Warawa.

Pearson asked how long the disaster relief process would take. Thirty to 60 days, Warawa estimated.

Share this post

Post Comment