Alberta Health Services
Alberta Health Services (AHS) is having a year-long wellness campaign called What’s your balance? Since many waking hours are spent at work- what you eat at work can have a big impact on your health and energy levels. If you are looking for ways to get more balance in your eating habits, try one or more of these small changes.
Boost your Breakfast with Fibre and Protein.
A nutrient-packed breakfast will help you get through the morning. How can you boost the fibre and protein in your breakfast?
• Choose whole grain cereals, breads and tortillas.
• Look for cereals and breads that have two grams or more of fibre per serving.
• Try items such as yogurt, cheese, meat, eggs, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, or cooked beans or lentils.
Make healthy lunch a habit. A healthy lunch provides much needed fuel and nutrients to help you focus during your work day. Plan ahead and pack a meal with healthy foods form home. Try new ideas:
• Lunch Bowl: brown rice or quinoa, red peppers, avocado, salsa, cheese, and black beans or chicken
• Salad: arugula, strawberries, pears, goat cheese and almonds or pecans. Drizzle with balsamic dressing. Add a whole grain bun
• This and That: Greek yogurt, whole grain crackers, hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit
Manage the mid-shift slump – the decrease in energy part way through your workday. Instead of reaching for a sugary snack…
• On a break, go for a brisk 10 minute walk.
• Aim to get enough sleep, most adults need 7–9 hours.
• Choose water to drink
• Connect with others. Chat with a co-worker who is also on break.
By taking some small steps, you can improve the balance in your eating to create healthy habits for a lifetime. Spread the word and challenge your friends! Post a video or photo of how you maintain balance! Share through social media #AHSwhatsyourbalance