Court Report

Assault causing bodily harm and other cases

Slave Lake
Provincial Court
April 10, 2019
Judge G. W. Paul

At trial, Chad Wilton (21) changed his plea to guilty to the charge of assault causing bodily harm.

On September 15, 2018 at an outdoor party in the jack pines area of Slave Lake, the complainant was hanging out with some friends by the fire.

Out of nowhere, Wilton ran at him and punched him in the face. The complainant fell to the ground and lost consciousness. Wilton continued to punch him.

The complainant was sent to the U of A hospital for surgery.

Wilton was 20 at the time. He had been drinking. He stopped drinking the day after. He had no previous record.

Wilton, the crown, defence and the judge read two victim impact statements which were not shared with the gallery but entered as evidence.

The crown and defence submitted a joint statement requesting a one year conditional sentence plus one year probation. After a lengthy discussion, Judge Paul passed this as the sentence.

He highlighted the severity of the crime and the impact it had on the victim and his mother. Wilton seriously damaged the victim’s jaw, scared him and his mother, and caused financial difficulties.

He considered mitigating factors and whether Wilton was likely to endanger the community. These were age, lack of previous record, history of employment, Wilton no longer drinking, his pleading guilty and showing remorse, and being in a lasting relationship.

“(An) isolated and out of character act,” Judge Paul said. “(a conditional sentence would) not endanger the community.”

During the two years of the conditional sentence and probation, Wilton is to have no contact with the complainant, report as directed, attend anger management, consume no alcohol, marijuana, or illegal drugs, and maintain employment.

For the first six months, Wilton is under house arrest which requires him to be on the premises except for allowed absences such as work.

Harley Jay Auger (32) appeared in court via closed circuit video from Edmonton Remand Centre to plea guilty to one count of breach of condition.

On March 8, 2019 at 6:05 p.m., a Slave Lake RCMP patrol noticed two males walking on a roadway. One was recognized as Auger.

At the time, he was under conditions including abstaining from alcohol and other drugs. The police approached the two men and noticed that Auger was very chatty, with glassy eyes, and couldn’t hold still.

There was also the odour of alcohol. He was arrested for breach of condition.

He has been in custody since March 8th and has two previous convictions for similar offenses.

Auger was sentenced to 14 days with credit for 14 days.

Judge Paul said, “if you breach again it goes up.”

Appearing via closed circuit video from Edmonton Remand Centre, Jamie Lee Brown entered a plea of guilty to a charge of assault.

On August 16, 2018 at 6:20 p.m., a constable at the Slave Lake RCMP detachment was doing a prisoner check. The constable found Brown standing over another prisoner punching him in the head.

The police officer called for back-up and opened the door. Two police officers split up the prisoners. Brown yelled and remained agitated. The other prisoner was bleeding from his nose.

Brown has been in custody since August 29, 2018 on other matters. He has previous similar convictions.

Brown was sentenced to 30 days.

Corbin Lee Brule appeared via closed circuit video from Edmonton Remand Centre to plea guilty to failure to attend court.

The week before on April 2, 2019, he was supposed to stand trial. He came to court for about an hour in the morning but did not stay around for the trial. A warrant was issued.

He has been in custody since Thursday, April 4. This is not the first time he failed to show up for court.

Brule was sentenced to seven days with seven days credit for time served.

“You’re not likely to get the benefit again,” Judge Paul said. “You’re your own worst enemy Mr. Brule.”

Lucas Earl Masur (42) pled guilty to drunk driving.

On February 22, RCMP received a report that a highly intoxicated man entered the Liquor Depot. After he was refused service, he drove off in a gray Sierra.

One police officer looked at video surveillance and another went on patrol. The officer looking at the video recognized Masur.

The other officer went to Masur’s residence and found his gray Sierra in the driveway. Masur was in the driver’s seat. The officer asked him for a breath sample.

Masur attempted to run away. He almost fell while trying to run. He was apprehended in front of the garage door.

There was a strong smell of alcohol. He was unsteady on his feet and slurring his speech.

The first reading was .3 and the second was .28 three-and-a-half times the legal limit.

Masur was sentenced to 45 days of jail time to be served on weekends to allow him to provide for his family and two years of prohibition from driving.

He is eligible to apply for Interlock.

This was Masur’s third conviction for drunk driving.

“You have three on criminal record,” Judge Paul said. “Picked up again. It might not be just three months.”

Tammy Lynn McLeod pled guilty to a charge of uttering a forged document.

On February 19, 2019, the owner of Winks contacted the Slave Lake RCMP with a fake cheque for $938.60 which had been cashed at the store. He noticed the cheque was not real, but a photocopy of the original.

McLeod was identified by her signature on the till receipt, the cheque made out in her name, and from video surveillance.

“You don’t have a bad record,” Judge Paul said. “You are bright, got your high school, usually employed. It is a serious matter. You should take responsibility.”

McLeod was sentenced to a $500 fine and to pay restitution of $938.60 plus a $40 non-sufficient funds fee to the owner of Winks.

David Roy Sanford entered a plea of guilty to hunting wildlife out of season under the Wildlife Act.

On January 23, 2019, the Slave Lake Fish and Wildlife office was contacted with a report of a dog caught in a snare. The snare was on the west-side of Slave Lake. It appeared to be recently set.

There were three snares at that location. Two of them were active.

The Fish and Wildlife officer investigated the residence which backed onto the area, but no one was home.

On January 29 at 3:00 p.m., Fish and Wildlife approached the house again. Sanford arrived and admitting to setting the snares behind his house to catch coyotes who were being a problem.

Sanford was sentenced to a $500 fine and the snares were forfeited. Judge Paul directed Sanford to ask Fish and Wildlife the proper way to deal with the coyotes.

Ryan Wade Squair pled guilty to assault.

On November 17, 2018, the Slave Lake RCMP were conducting a bar walk.

One establishment informed the officers that they were going to kick an individual out of the bar and wanted the RCMP to know in case the individual caused problems.

The individual was later identified as Ryan Squair. He was not cooperative and kept asking to be let back in and reentering the bar.

On the third time, the police charged him with mischief. He tried to escape. In the struggle, he struck both of the officers.

Defence and the crown requested a pre-sentence report, so sentencing will be on July 31.

Share this post

Post Comment